Adjunct Associate Professor in the Pratt School of Engineering
Through 28 years of service via many roles — inventor, product developer, manager, entrepreneur, strategist, board member, and professor — Joseph Holmes has built a career surrounding the commercialization of technology.
Since 2000, he has owned and operated Acuity Edge — providing business-strategy and innovation-management consulting services to corporate, university, government, and investor clients. Holmes has led many commercialization efforts including strategy dev't, opportunity evaluation, investor due diligence, technology marketing, partnership dev't, IP valuation, deal negotiations, and startup management. He has helped clients to manage over 3000 inventions across many engineering and life-science fields leading to hundreds of license deals, tens of startup companies, and millions in client revenues. Directly or through partners, he has served organizations including BASF, Deloitte Consulting, Ford, GE, Panasonic, Mayfield Fund, Michigan State U., Motorola, MVC Capital, NASA, Nomura International, North Carolina State U., Roche Diagnostics, Sherwin Williams, Siemens, Textron, the U. of Illinois, and the USDA. He has provided commercialization training both domestically and internationally for the Association of University Technology Managers, the International Astronautical Federation, the Licensing Executive Society, NASA, and the USPTO.
Since 2004, Holmes has taught Commercializing Technology Innovations (CTI) and served as director of the Consulting Practicum Program (CPP) as an adjunct professor in the Master of Engineering Management (MEM) Program at Duke. He has also served as a voting director on the boards of Hospice of Harnett County (2005-2011), Biovation Holdings (2012-2014), Biogenic Reagents (2013-2016), and MBCOI (2015-2018).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Adjunct Associate Professor in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Office Location: 305 Teer Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 200-4231
- Email Address: email@example.com
- M.B.A. Duke University, 2003
- M.S. North Carolina State University, 1998
- B.S. North Carolina State University, 1992
- EGRMGMT 556: Engineering Management Practicum
- EGRMGMT 574: Commercializing Technology Innovations: Turning Visions into Value
- EGRMGMT 591: Special Readings in Engineering Management