Bryan A McGann
Clinical Professor of Law (Teaching)
Bryan McGann is a clinical professor of law, director of the Start-Up Ventures Clinic, and faculty advisor to the Duke Law Coalition Against Gendered Violence. Prior to joining the Duke Law faculty in 2016, McGann had a broad career as a lawyer, entrepreneur, and commercial banker. He is of-counsel to the Smith Anderson firm in Raleigh, an entrepreneur in residence at the University of North Carolina, and a contributor to the Blackstone Entrepreneurs Network.
McGann is the inventor and founder of the Pill Pockets® brand pet treats, the world’s leading medicine delivery aid for animals. After building and commercializing the brand, McGann’s company was acquired by Mars, Incorporated and today the Pill Pockets® brand is sold across the United States and around the world under various Mars’ divisions. He also co-owns Sundial Homes, a general contracting firm building lake-front, residential property, and McGann has recently been granted a U.S. patent on a medical brace to aid in the rehabilitation and recovery of orthopedic surgical patients. Prior to his practice of law, McGann was vice president of a regional commercial bank, and is a graduate of the North Carolina School of Banking.
McGann received his LL.M. in Law and Entrepreneurship, magna cum laude, from Duke University, and his J.D., with Honors, from the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he served as Chief Justice of the Holderness Moot Court Bench, graduated Order of Barristers, was recipient of the James William Morrow, III Award, and is a member of the James E. and Carolyn B. Davis Society. McGann also holds Ph.D., M.B.A. and B.S. degrees, and is licensed to practice in all state courts of North Carolina, all federal courts seated in North Carolina, and is a member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States. He is a member of the American, North Carolina, and Wake County Bar Associations.
McGann is active in the community coaching four youth sports teams, and holding leadership positions with his church and the Annual Fund of Cardinal Gibbons High School where he is a member of both the Alumni and Athletic Halls of Fame.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Clinical Professor of Law (Teaching)
- Adjunct Associate Professor in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Office Location: Duke Law School 210 Science Dr, Box 90362, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 613-7000
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Walden University, 2004
- J.D. University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, 2001
- EGRMGMT 520: Intellectual Property, Business Law, and Entrepreneurship
- LAW 441: Start-Up Ventures Clinic
- LAW 441A: Advanced Start Up Ventures Clinic
- LAW 540: Startup Law: Representing the Company
- LAW 816: Creating an Entity