Andrew Douglas Hilton
Associate Professor of the Practice of Electrical & Computer Engineering and of Computer Science
Drew Hilton is an Associate Professor of the Practice in Electrical and Computer Engineering, as well as Pratt’s Director of Innovation in Computing Education.
His main focus is on teaching professional-level programming skills to ECE’s master's students to prepare them for software engineering careers.
Professor Hilton also teaches a 3-week introduction to Programming Python for Duke’s Master in Interdisciplinary Data Science, and Duke’s Center for Computational Thinking.
He has two Coursera specializations, one in Java, and another in C.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Director of Innovation in Computing Education in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Associate Professor of the Practice of Computer Science
- Office Location: PO Box 90291, Hudson 211, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (660) 517-7
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Pennsylvania, 2010
Computer architecture, specifically architectural support for security and energy-efficient performance
- COMPSCI 553: Compiler Construction
- ECE 493: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 551D: Programming, Data Structures, and Algorithms in C++
- ECE 553: Compiler Construction
- ECE 651: Software Engineering
- ECE 751D: Advanced Programming, Data Structures, and Algorithms in C++
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- POE 510: Winter Boot Camp
In the News
- Everything You'd Want to Know About Algorithms, Explained with Legos (Oct 26, 2020)
- Pratt-Honored Professor on Teaching Programming Before Coding in the Classroom (Oct 15, 2015)
- Huang, Z; Joao, JA; Rico, A; Hilton, AD; Lee, BC, DynaSprint: Microarchitectural sprints with dynamic utility and thermal management, Proceedings of the Annual International Symposium on Microarchitecture, Micro (2019), pp. 426-439 [10.1145/3352460.3358301] [abs].
- Hilton, AD; Lipp, GM; Rodger, SH, Translation from Problem to Code in Seven Steps, Comped 2019 Proceedings of the Acm Conference on Global Computing Education (2019), pp. 78-84 [10.1145/3300115.3309508] [abs].
- Hilton, AD; Lipp, GM; Rodger, SH, A technique for translation from problem to code, Annual Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, Iticse (2018) [10.1145/3197091.3205807] [abs].
- Lehman, TS; Hilton, AD; Lee, BC, MAPS: Understanding Metadata Access Patterns in Secure Memory, Proceedings 2018 Ieee International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software, Ispass 2018 (2018), pp. 33-43 [10.1109/ISPASS.2018.00012] [abs].
- Jacobvitz, AN; Hilton, AD; Sorin, DJ, Multi-program benchmark definition, Ispass 2015 Ieee International Symposium on Performance Analysis of Systems and Software (2015), pp. 72-82 [10.1109/ISPASS.2015.7095786] [abs].